IHG is a “InterContinental Hotels Group”, essentially, it’s a company that runs hotels, and very successfully it seems. Since being founded in 2003 they have grown to be an enormous company with billions in revenue last year alone. So, what is one the staples of being such a big company? You make an app.
The app for IHG is essentially a miniature version of their website, it lets your browse availability in their various hotels and just generally makes the process a lot simpler. They also have an added bonus of unique deals they do for those using the app and a reward point scheme so if you travel a lot for work or just generally find yourselves using hotels a lot then the app may save you a decent amount of money. Not a bad incentive right there.
So, what do you do when the app stops working? These sorts of apps may have limited time deals and not to mention that room you’ve been thinking about booking could be reserved by someone else at any time so downtime could be a big problem.
Let’s have a look at what we can do to get the app working again…
IHG App not working? The fix
Whenever an app like this isn’t working it’s always frustrating, however that doesn’t mean there’s nothing we can do about it. In fact, the most common cause of these issues is going to be connection issues. Either your device, your network (router or wifi) or the connection to IHG’s servers themselves. This is usually an issue on our side so something we can fix but it can be a problem on IHG’s side.
Thankfully IHG is active on Twitter and reports any downtime there so It’s quick and easy to check by quickly opening their Twitter page. I’ll include a link to that below.
If you’ve checked that IHG aren’t having issues and you’re still having problems, then there’s a few things we can do about it. Let’s have a look…
Twitter link to check outages: https://twitter.com/ihghotels?lang=en
As mentioned, the main thing that will cause issues with the IHG App is your internet connection. This will be shown by a connecting icon either on the app’s loading screen or an error message will appear.
Here are the main things to double check when on your mobile and have connection issues:
- Airplane mode. As you can probably guess, having airplane mode on stops all signal and network connection so it’s one of the first things to check, usually indicated by an airplane icon in the top right corner of your device.
- Wifi. Just in case you are on wifi there are two things to check here. The wifi on your device and your router. Firstly, make sure your wifi is turned on. If it is, then give it a quick off and on then try connecting again. Secondly, the router itself, check for any obvious warning lights. Just for good measure do a reset, another off and on. Nice and easy.
Check for updates
Apps have a variety of issues all the time and one of the most common causes for these more obscure issues are updates. If the developers push an update server side, it can cause the app to stop working properly until the update has been done by users. This is rarely something as significant as the entire app not working but is very possible.
Here’s what to do.
- Open the app store.
- Navigate to your profile, this is an icon in the top right.
- Scroll down to your list of apps and find the IHG app, if it’s in the “to be updated” section then hit that update button!
- Navigate to the play store home screen.
- Select “My apps & games.”
- Here you can select the IHG app specifically if it needs an update or just hit the update all button. I tend to check if it needs updating to see if that could have been the problem but still make sure to do update all.
Sometimes these apps have stored data that can corrupt files and cause issues with loading. Nothing to worry about here though, this happens when files break, and a simple clearing of the cache removes the problem files.
Keep in mind when doing this that it will remove all saved data. Files, usernames, and accounts. A lot of this is held server side by IHG however so the only hassle is a quick sign in and you’re back up and running.
Thankfully this can be done on both Android and IOS devices.
For iPhone/IOS devices it’s not very intuitive how to do this… Unfortunately, the only way to do this is to delete the app and reinstall it… This is a little annoying, but it will also clear up any potential corrupt files.
For Android this can be done from the app settings.
- Navigate to settings.
- Select apps.
- Select the IHG app.
- Select storage.
- Hit the clear cache option down in the bottom right.
In conclusion the IHG app is almost never down so the issues are likely on your end. It is always worth checking though which you can do with the link to their Twitter we linked above. If there are no issues though then it’s likely on your end and if you follow the steps we outlined here you should be back to using the app in no time.
We hope this article helped and you’re once again able to use the app and book your next hotel stay!