Although Excel is very useful, it cannot protect the created documents from external threats and corruption that lead to complete data loss. Microsoft Excel recovery software is one of the best solutions to recover your corrupt or damaged .XLSX file either on a PC or online repair on any platform with a browser.
With the Recovery Toolbox for Excel, you can easily recover the corrupt .XLXS file manually without involving a system administrator or having prior technical knowledge by using the recovery methods recommended in this blog post.
The Reason Behind the Issue: “The file could be corrupted or unsafe.”
The XLS/XLSX files can be damaged manually or due to the following reasons:
- Virus injection
- Incorrect antivirus cleaning of files (True-False detection)
- Hardware failures
- Power shortages
- The USB device is incorrect; unplug it.
- Microsoft Excel bugs
- Incorrectly working third-party tools with Excel data files
Solutions to recover damaged XLXS files.
Method #1: Repair a corrupted workbook in Excel
When Microsoft Excel detects a corrupted workbook upon opening, it automatically starts File Recovery mode and attempts to repair the workbook. If File Recovery mode doesn’t start, try using this manual process to recover your workbook:
- Click File > Open.
- Click the location and folder that contain the corrupted workbook.
- In the Open dialog box, select the corrupted workbook.
- Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
- To recover as much of the workbook data as possible, pick Repair.
If Repair isn’t able to recover your data, pick Extract Data to extract values and formulas from the workbook. If neither automatic nor manual repair works, try the following recovery methods that can help salvage your important data.
Method #2: Use the Recovery Toolbox for Excel
- Fixing all types of Excel files: *.xls, *.xlt, *.xlsx, *.xlsm, *.xltm, *.xltx, and *.xlam extensions
- Recovers table styles, fonts, worksheets, and workbook cell data
- Repairing number formats (except colors that are used in a number format)
- Fix the column width and row height values in a sheet
- Repair all types of formulas, including functions, internal, external, and name references
- Repair cell formatting values (font, number format, line style, fill pattern, text orientation, and alignment)
- Restore cell colors and border colors
- Read and repair .XLS files of MS Office 98, 2000, 2003, and XP
- Open and recover .XLSX files of MS Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, and 2021 (Microsoft 365)
- Saving directly to Excel or a new .XLSX file (in this case, a copy of Microsoft Excel installed on the user’s computer is not required)
- Export data into a new Excel document directly
- XLSX Viewer Tool
- Identifies and displays the contents of a damaged Microsoft Excel file
- Displays the corrupted Excel file
How to Recover a corrupt Excel file with Recovery Toolbox for Excel
- Download Recovery Toolbox for Excel from here: https://excel.recoverytoolbox.com/
- Install the Recovery Toolbox for Excel on your computer
- Run the Recovery Toolbox for Excel
- Select a corrupt MS Excel file on the first page of the tool
- Click Analyze
6. Preview the contents of the worksheets and cells from the Excel fix
- Click the Start recovery button and save the recovered content (available only in the full version of Recovery Toolbox for Excel) by selecting:
- Export to Excel – if you want to export the data to the new workbook
- Save to file – if you want to save the data to a new *.xlsx file
- View the recovery results and enjoy your recovered file.
Method #3: Use An Online Excel Repair Service
- Go to https://excel.recoverytoolbox.com/online/ and press the upload button. Wait until the file is uploaded to the site and enter your e-mail address.
2. Then press the Next Step button and wait while your file is being repaired.
3. Preview or download your DEMO file.
The online service saves data recovered from damaged Excel files to files with the XLSX extension, the format used by Microsoft Excel 2007 and above.
Recovery of Excel tables of any size and any version is now possible on any device – you will only need a browser.
Conclusion: The Advantages of the Recovery Toolbox for Excel
1. View the Contents of XLSX Files, Even Without MS Excel Installation
Besides undamaged files, the program allows a preview opening of corrupted documents, which are normally unopenable.
2. Free XLSX File Viewer
Recovery Toolbox for Excel is very convenient to use for viewing the contents of an XLSX/XLS Microsoft Excel file—a corrupted, standard, or both Excel files. The tool can work as a viewer for XLSX files, even if you don’t have Excel or Office installed. The tool allows you to open and view any XLSX files for an unlimited number of times.
There is a full preview of Excel spreadsheets in the Recovery Toolbox for Excel, and it’s similar to how it is implemented in Microsoft Office. The tool opens XLSX files for viewing, even if they are damaged. Plus, you can use it an unlimited number of times for free.
3. Open a Corrupted XLSX File for Free
Recovery Toolbox for Excel allows you to open a damaged Excel spreadsheet for free and display all the data from the damaged spreadsheet on the preview page.
4. Restore an Excel Project
You can use the last backup or restore to the previous stable copy of the file, or try to use Recovery Toolbox for Excel to restore damaged Excel spreadsheets. With a very high probability, Recovery Toolbox for Excel can return data .xlsx files to their original state before they were damaged.
5. Fix an Excel File
If you need to fix the corrupted Excel file, then the full version of Recovery Toolbox for Excel will allow you to do this in a few simple steps. The fixing of Excel files occurs by copying the corrected data from the damaged .xlsx file to a new Excel project. The tool does not fix or modify the existing XLSX file. All recovered data is transferred to a new Excel spreadsheet. Corrected data from a damaged XLSX file can be exported to a new Excel spreadsheet or a new XLSX file.
You can select either a Personal License ($25) or a Business License ($39) edition of the Offline Recovery Toolbox for Excel, according to your requirements. Both versions are available for purchase. Besides, you may use the online conversion tool for as low as $10/Gb.
With the paid version of the Microsoft Excel sheet repair tool, you can now use all its functions. Recovery Toolbox for Excel can fix MS Excel documents regardless of file extension (*.xlsm, *.xlam, *.xls, *.xltm, *.xlt, *.xlsx and *.xltx) or your version of Microsoft Excel. After buying the license for this software, the amount of repaired XLSX spreadsheets is not limited, so restoring Excel files is available whenever you have any issues.
Finally, if after recovering corrupt XLSX files, you want to save the result, you would also need to purchase the Recovery Toolbox for Excel license. After buying the MS Excel file repairing software, you can now save the restored Excel data as a new XLSX worksheet.