If you are struggling to log in to your Facebook account and can’t remember any key login details such as email address, password or mobile phone number then you may think that the chances of recovering your account are remote.
However, that is far from the case as Facebook allows users to recover their account simply by your name. So, providing you haven’t forgotten your name (if you have, then we suggest visiting a Doctor immediately), you should be back up and running on Facebook in no time.
In this article, we are going to explain the process of locating your Facebook account by name on a step by step basis. We will also be looking at other ways to recover a lost Facebook account. Let’s get into it.
Find my Facebook account by name – step by step process
In order to find/recover your Facebook account by your name, please follow these instructions:
- Head to https://www.facebook.com/login/identify
- Ignore the message that says you have to search for your account via email address or phone number and just type in your name and hit enter.
- You aren’t going to be the only user with your name so you will need to scroll through the options available until you find your account.
- Once you’ve found your account, select ‘this is my account’.
- This page will offer to send a code to your email address to reset your password. If you have access to this email address then select this option, and head to your email address to follow the instructions there to reset your password. If you don’t have access to the email address listed here then select ‘no longer have access to these’.
- Select ‘I cannot access my email account’.
- Enter in a new email address that you do have access to and receive the code for the account reset that way.
Once you’ve reset your password, ensure that you make a note of your password in a safe place to ensure that you don’t have to go through this process again. Failing that, ensure that you have access at all times to your selected email address.
Other ways to recover a Facebook account
You’ll be glad to hear that not all Facebook recovery methods are as convoluted or as long winded as the one stated above. Some of them can be done in as little as a few clicks providing you have certain pieces of information hand. Let’s take a look at them.
Recovery via your profile page
- Get a family member/friend to log on to their Facebook profile.
- Search for the account you are wishing to recover on the Facebook search bar.
- Tap the three dotted icon on the Facebook profile and select ‘find support or report profile’.
- Choose ‘something else’.
- Tap ‘recover this account’ and follow the on screen instructions to complete the account recovery.
Recover via mobile phone number
- Go to the Facebook login page via a web browser.
- Type in your phone number into the log in box and select ‘forgotten password’.
- Select ‘send code to this number’.
- Receive a text message off Facebook with a reset code and follow the on screen instructions to complete the process.
Issues that could prevent you from resetting account
After attempting all of the above in a bid to recover your Facebook account, you may find that you are encountering a variety of problems. We have touched on issues such as forgetting or no longer having access to your primary email address and phone number, but there is also a couple of other issues that could arise:
Your Facebook account has been disabled
If you Facebook account has been disabled then you won’t be able to access to your Facebook account or reset your password to regain access. It will either be a temporary or permanent measure, depending on the reasons why Facebook took this action against you. Your account will be disabled if you are:
- posting content that goes against Facebook’s Terms and Conditions.
- impersonating someone else.
- harassing other users on the app against their wishes, either publicly or via Messenger.
- Promoting illegal content or trying to sell illegal goods via the Facebook Marketplace.
If you believe that your account has been unfairly disabled, then you are able to submit an appeal directly to Facebook via this form.
Your Facebook account has been hacked
If your Facebook account has been hacked then all of the login information that you used to sign up with will likely have been replaced. This will make it extremely difficult to reset your account, especially if the hacker has gone as far as to change your name on the platform too.
If you suspect your account has been hacked then we recommend that you visit this page. From here, Facebook will be able to assist you in trying to regain access to your account.
To conclude, finding your Facebook account by your name is a tried and trusted method that should always work when it comes to recovering a lost Facebook account. However, it isn’t the quickest method, so perhaps consider the other options listed above first providing you have access to key information such as email addresses and mobile phone numbers.
There are some things that it’s difficult to do with Facebook, like viewing private Facebook photos on your main account.