9gag has been one of the staples of the internet when it comes to your daily dose of memes, if you’ve ever got a spare minute, on a bus or in a car, you can open 9gag and have a bit of a chuckle.
With dozens of different categories and a seemingly infinite number of posts there really is something for everyone with this app. If you like cars there is a section for that, if you like movies, there is a section for that. With a diverse enough range of categories and an easy to use home page there’s something for everyone here.
Personally, I browse the trending section as it’s constantly updated with new posts and as they only get there with a decent amount of upvotes you’re looking at a steady intake of quality content. But that’s just me, use as you like! So, what happens when it stops working? Let’s see what we can do.
9GAG app not working? The fix
As with all the apps in this world, problems can occur. When you’re looking for some top quality meme content and all you get is buffering, the annoyance is completely understandable.
Similar to most apps the most likely issue is going to be your connection, we’ll go over how you can get your internet back in a moment so don’t worry.
First though, you need to determine whether there’s something you can do about the issue or if It’s an issue with 9gag’s server stopping you connecting or stopping any other services.
As 9gag is a very large website it is almost never going to have downtime, especially as a site that needs a constant flow of uploads to keep all its audiences happy. There is a handy site which you can use to tell whether sites are up or down which I’ll link below.
If the website is showing to be up, then let’s see what we can do to get you back to browsing.
Connection checker: https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/9gag.com.html
As mentioned, the main thing that will cause issues with the 9gag App is your internet connection.
This will be shown by a connecting icon either on the app’s loading screen or an error message will appear. This can be an issue with your internet service provider, but it’s much more likely to actually be an issue with your own devices.
Here are the main things to double check when on your mobile and have connection issues:
- Airplane mode – As you can probably guess, having airplane mode on stops all signal and network connection so it’s one of the first things to check, usually indicated by an airplane icon in the top right corner of your device.
- Wifi – Just in case you are on wifi there are two things to check here. The wifi on your device and your router. Firstly, make sure your wifi is turned on. If it is, then give it a quick off and on then try connecting again. Secondly, the router itself, check for any obvious warning lights. Just for good measure do a reset, another off and on. Nice and easy.
If you think the issue may be with the Wi-Fi on your device, then you could switch over to using mobile data to see whether that works instead. If it’s still no, then updating to the most recent version is a good idea.
Check for updates
Apps have a variety of issues all the time and one of the most common causes for these more obscure issues are updates.
If the developers push an update server side, it can cause the app to stop working properly until the update has been done by users. This is rarely something as significant as the entire app not working but is very possible.
Here’s what to do.
- Open the app store.
- Navigate to your profile, this is an icon in the top right.
- Scroll down to your list of apps and find the 9gag app, if it’s in the “to be updated” section then hit that update button!
- Navigate to the play store home screen.
- Select “My apps & games.”
- Here you can select the 9gag app specifically if it needs an update or just hit the update all button. I tend to check if it needs updating to see if that could have been the problem but still make sure to do update all.
Sometimes these apps have stored data that can corrupt files and cause issues with loading. Nothing to worry about here though, this happens when files break, and a simple clearing of the cache removes the problem files.
Keep in mind when doing this that it will remove all saved data. Files, usernames, and accounts. A lot of this is held server side by 9gag however so the only hassle is a quick sign in and you’re back up and running.
Thankfully this can be done on both Android and IOS devices.
For iPhone/IOS devices it’s not very intuitive how to do this… Unfortunately, the only way to do this is to delete the app and reinstall it… This is a little annoying, but it will also clear up any potential corrupt files.
For Android this can be done from the app settings.
- Navigate to settings.
- Select apps.
- Select the 9gag app.
- Select storage.
- Hit the clear cache option down in the bottom right.
This will usually fix any issues you’re having with the 9GAG app – in fact, it’ll probably work for any app that you’re using, whether that be Facebook, Triller or Tiktok, they all tend to have similar problems from time to time.
In conclusion, it’s very uncommon for 9gag to have issues on their side so it is most likely an issue with your device. This may be frustrating, but it also means there is something we can do about it to get back to browsing as we have outlined here.
A bad connection is the most likely cause and thankfully it’s usually very easy to diagnose that problem and then work through the potential solutions. We hope this article helped and you’ll be back to browsing your favourite memes soon!