Given the amount of items you can now buy from Amazon, you will be hard pressed to find someone who has never ordered anything off the mega site. When it comes to ordering items off Amazon, the ideal outcome is that everything is delivered to your door; however, this isn’t always possible for a number of reasons.
If you find that Amazon have delivered your parcel(s) to the wrong address then there are a couple of options available to you. In this article, we are going to look at these options as well as explaining a little bit about why Amazon do sometimes fail to get your orders sent to the right address.
What to do when Amazon delivers to wrong address – Step-by-step
The first thing you should do if you’re wondering where your parcel is and suspect that it may have been delivered to the wrong address is to track your order via the Amazon website. In order to do this, please take the following steps:
- Log on to your Amazon account via the desktop website
- Select your account name on the top right hand side of the screen and select ‘your orders’
- Find the order that you suspect has been delivered to the wrong address and select ‘track order’
- If this screen shows delivered then check which address it has been delivered to and see if it’s a neighbours address, an old address or just a completely random one.
Once you’ve discovered where your parcel has been delivered to you then have a few options available to you, depending on what the situation is:
- If your Amazon package has gone to a neighbours house, or an old address of yours, then simply go around to the house, knock on the door and ask for the parcel (if your old address is far away then go for the option below).
- If it’s gone to a random address, then log back on to Amazon via your computer and visit their support page. Get in touch with one of their live agents and they should be able to sort out a refund or re-delivery for you once you’ve explained the circumstances.
Measures you can take to help prevent this from happening
While sometimes Amazon and/or the couriers can make mistakes that you can do absolutely nothing about, there are a few things that you can do to try and reduce the chances of your package going AWOL.
Ensure your address is updated
On any typical Amazon account, there will likely be a number of different addresses assigned to it. This can be for various reasons including the user moving house while having the account or multiple family members who live all over the place using the same Amazon account. Regardless of the reason, it’s imperative that you keep your desired delivery address updated. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Amazon account via a web browser.
- Select your account name on the top right hand side of the screen and select ‘your account’.
- Select ‘your addresses’.
- From here you can remove any addresses that are no longer of use to you, add any new addresses and set a default address where all packages will be sent to unless Amazon are told differently.
Set instructions for the courier
While you purchase your desired items directly off Amazon, they then outsource the delivery task to a courier. When you get to the delivery section of your basket once your order is ready for completion, you are able to set instructions for them to follow should you not be in at the time of the delivery. This should prevent them from delivering your package to anywhere you don’t wish it to go. To set these delivery instructions, please follow these steps:
- On the confirmation screen during checkout or when choosing a delivery address, select ‘add delivery instructions’. This can be found under your delivery address.
- Once you click this button, a new window will appear on your screen.
- Here, you can set your delivery instructions, including where to leave your parcel if you aren’t going to be in when the parcel is delivered.
- Once you’re happy with the instructions, select ‘save’.
Watch out for typos
This may seem like an obvious thing to suggest, but it’s worth pointing out. One letter or number mistake on a postcode/address can result in your package being sent to the opposite end of the country. Check your delivery address is accurate via the ‘your addresses’ section.
Making sure you have the correct address entered is paramount, as obviously if you’ve put the wrong shipping address in you’re never going to receive your package. If you still you’ll need to contact Amazon customer service – they’re usually pretty good with customers, so if it has been sent to the wrong house and it wasn’t your doing, you’ll likely get a replacement or a refund.
To conclude, when Amazon delivers your parcel to the wrong address, it is usually either their fault or the courier’s fault – this is one of the most common Amazon issues. However, there are steps which you can take (as explained in greater detail above) to help prevent the issue of occurring on a regular basis. Although your Amazon package may be wrongfully delivered from time to time, generally they do get the correct address the majority of the time.