When you start following someone on Instagram, you will then start seeing their new posts on your Instagram feed.
On top of that, you will also receive access to all of their old posts and any new additions to their Instagram story. The same also applies to your content when someone new starts following you.
Considering Instagram is all about image sharing, it isn’t outside the realms of the possibility that you might want to receive notifications every time a certain user posts something new on to the platform.
We are going to look at how you can go about getting these notifications, while also examining the other notification options available to you.
How to turn on post notifications on Instagram – Step by step
To turn post notifications on for someone on Instagram, you are going to need to use the mobile phone app as aren’t able to do it on the browser version of the platform.
To turn post notifications on while on the Instagram app, please follow these instructions:
- Log in to your Instagram account.
- Use the search bar to search for the account which you want post notifications for.
- Select the notification icon on the top right hand side of the account’s profile. This will look like a bell.
- Tap which type of content you want to receive notifications for. You will have the option of posts, stories, reels, videos and live videos. You can select as many or as few as you like.
- Once you’ve finalised your decision simply tap anywhere on the screen to go back to the account’s profile to confirm your new settings.
- You should now see a tick over the top of the notification icon on the top right hand side of the account’s profile.
When you do turn on post notifications for another user they won’t be notified, so if you are looking to keep an eye on someone secretly then this method won’t cause you any embarrassment.
One thing to note, though, is that you will have to be following a user if you want to turn post notifications on for them. But still, it’s worth doing as if you enable notifications then you’ll get post notifications directly in your account.
There are also different forms of notification too – a post notification and a push notification aren’t the same thing.
If you want pop up notifications when someone changes their profile picture or adds a new posts, you’ll want to switch push notifications on.
Enabling push notifications
Going forward you will now receive Instagram notifications every time that account posts certain content.
If you have push notifications enabled on your device for Instagram then you will also receive pop ups on your phone when content is posted.
If you haven’t got push notifications enabled on your phone for Instagram then it might be something that you want to consider.
It will mean that you will receive alerts on your phone every time something happens on Instagram that you have notifications turned on for.
This way you won’t have to physically click on to the Instagram app in order to find out your latest notifications.
To turn on push notifications for Instagram on an iOS device, follow these steps:
- Head to the settings app on your phone.
- Scroll down until you find Instagram and select it.
- Select ‘notifications’.
- Select the sliding bar next to ‘allow notifications’ so that it is displaying green.
- You will then be able to select the format in which you’d like to receive these push notifications.
To turn on push notifications for Instagram on an Android device, follow these steps:
- Open up the settings app.
- Scroll down until you see ‘notifcation’s and select it.
- Select ‘app settings’.
- Ensure that the toggle next to Instagram is selected.
Other notification option on Instagram
Post notifications aren’t the only notification setting that you can take advantage of on Instagram, with other options being available to all users.
One popular feature that some users like to take advantage of is the ability to pause/mute notifications for certain instances.
To do this, please follow these steps:
- Log on to your Instagram account on the mobile phone app.
- Select your account icon on the bottom right hand side of the screen to navigate to your profile.
- Select the three lined icon on the top right hand side of the screen and then tap ‘your activity’.
- Select ‘time spent’ and then ‘notification settings’.
- To pause all notifications for a set period of time, select ‘pause all’ and then select a time frame from the list of options that will appear. You will be able to select either 15 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, or 8 hours.
If you want to generally modify the type of notifications you receive then you should head back to the ‘notification settings’ page within the ‘time spent’ section of ‘your activity’.
From there you you will be able to personalise what notifications you receive across the following notification types:
- Posts, stories and comments.
- Following and followers.
- Direct messages and calls.
- Instagram live and videos.
- Notifications directly from Instagram.
Bear in mind that you won’t be notified if someone unfollows you on Instagram, and there’s no way to enable this in the settings.
To conclude, setting up post notifications on Instagram is a really easy process providing you are using the mobile phone app and you are following the user(s) you are looking to get post notifications for.
We hope that our instructions above will help you to get these notifications sorted, while also giving you some food for thought for other notification possibilities on Instagram.