Sharing your favourite music with family and friends is one of the most joyful things about being a fan of music. Also, for small and upcoming artists, having people across the world sharing your music with others is priceless when it comes to trying to build a fanbase and make money from doing what you love.
Thankfully, Spotify makes it easy for their users to be able to share songs with others via their platform. In this article, we are going to look at the different ways in which you can share music with others via the app and look at the new methods available to people which making sharing music even easier.
How to share a song on Spotify – The easiest way
The easiest way to share music on Spotify is through the mobile app. That doesn’t mean that you can’t do it on the desktop website, and we’ll look at how you can do this later, but it’s just so much quicker and straightforward for everyone involved via the app. To share music via the app please follow these steps:
- Tap the options button (the icon with three dots) next to the song that you want to share. Alternatively, you can just tap and hold on the song until a drop down menu appears.
- Select ‘share’ and then select from one of the options available to you
- Everyone should have the option to share a link and share it via a message but if you have any other apps on your phone that allow you to share content, such as Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram, then they will also appear here.
- Select the person who you want to share with and enter a message alongside the song if you wish.
- To finalise the share, simple tap ‘send’.
If you are wanting to share via a social media app then you will need to be logged in to those apps and have accepted permissions on the selected apps, so make sure that Spotify hasn’t logged you out. All this information should come up when you select the social media icon on the share menu so don’t worry too much.
There are alternative ways to share songs on Spotify – let’s take a look at them.
Sharing via the desktop website
As mentioned earlier, it is also possible to share a song via the desktop version of Spotify. If you are someone who tends to listen to Spotify while on a laptop then this is likely going to be the way forward for you. The process is fairly similar to the process it is on the app, except your sharing options are much more limited due to the fact you aren’t connected to your mobile phone while on a laptop/desktop computer.
Please follow these steps to share a song on Spotify while using it on a web browser:
- Select the options button (the icon with the three dots) next to the song that you want to share.
- From the drop down menu, select ‘share’, which will then bring up two further options.
- From here, either select ‘copy song link’ or ’embed track’. These are your only two options via the desktop site.
Scanning a QR code
This is quite a recent addition to Spotify and is only available on mobile phones and tablets with a working camera. Essentially, what Spotify have done is create a unique QR code for every song, album and playlist on their app and this code can be scanned by anyone with the app to take them directly to the designated song/album/playlist.
To scan a Spotify QR code please follow these steps:
- Log on to your Spotify account via the mobile app. This method cannot be completed on a desktop computer or laptop.
- Select the search function on the bottom of the screen.
- From here, tap the camera icon on the top right hand of the screen.
- Now, point your camera at a Spotify QR code and allow the app to take your directly to that QR code’s designated song, playlist or album.
This is a quick and easy way to share music, allowing artists to market their music with a direct link that doesn’t even need to be clicked. It may well be the future of digital marketing for music, films and tv shows.
To conclude, there are a number of different options for sharing music on Spotify across a number of different devices. We recommend that you use your mobile app for sharing any music on Spotify, however it is possible to do on the web browser if that is your preferred method. Follow our steps above to ensure a smooth process, regardless of which way you choose to do it.
Of course, there is also the old fashioned way of ringing your mate up and telling them about a song, but why would we want to do that when technology makes it so much easier!