When you first sign up to Facebook, you are allocated a username which is unique to your account.
While this username may seem irrelevant at the point of sign up, it could potentially come in handy in the future.
Therefore, you should make a note of this username and keep it in a safe place because you may well need it if you lose access to your account for whatever reason or if you are wanting to send someone a direct link to your profile.
Due to the fact there are literally billions of Facebook users on the planet, it is highly unlikely that you’re username is going to simply just be your name. So in order to find it, you are going to have do a little bit of digging.
In this article, we are going to explain exactly how you can go about finding out what your Facebook username is, while also taking a look at how you can change it should you be unhappy with what it currently is.
How to find Facebook username – The quickest way
The quickest way to find out your Facebook username, or anyone else’s for that matter, is to simply visit the Facebook profile in question on a web browser and take a look at the URL.
The URL should read something like www.facebook.com/*usernamehere*.
The part after the forward slash is that person’s username, meaning you have the information you require straight away.
Unfortunately, this method can’t be utilised on the Facebook app due to the fact that apps don’t produce URLs for each page, meaning that your only way of using this quick shortcut is by using Facebook on a web browser on your mobile device or laptop/computer.
To find the profile page we are talking about, please follow these steps:
- Log on to your Facebook account via a web browser.
- To navigate to your Facebook profile, select your name from the top of the left hand side menu bar. This will redirect you instantly to your profile with one click where you will then be able to find your username within the subsequent URL.
- To navigate to someone else’s Facebook profile, search for their account via the search bar at the top of the page. Once you have found the profile you are looking for, select their account and then find their username within the subsequent URL.
How to find Facebook username – On the app
Just because you can’t discover someone’s username via a URL on the Facebook app doesn’t mean that it’s impossible to find this information on there.
Instead, the process is just marginally longer but still provides you with the information you require in a fairly swift way.
To find someone else’s Facebook username on the Facebook app, please follow these steps:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Search for the person whose username you want to discover.
- Once on their profile, select the three dotted icon on the right hand side of the screen underneath their profile picture.
- From here, scroll to the bottom of the page until you see ‘user’s profile link’. This link will show you that person’s Facebook username.
To find out what your Facebook username is on the Facebook app, please follow these steps:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Select the three lined icon on the bottom right hand side of the home screen and select ‘see your profile’.
- From here, select the three dotted icon underneath your profile picture and follow the same steps as explained above for finding out someone else’s username on the app.
How to change your Facebook username
As explained earlier in the piece, you are automatically allocated a unique username when you first sign up to Facebook. This is useful, as other users can find you with your Facebook username.
As a result, you may well be given a username that you don’t like and wish to change it. Please note that Facebook will only allow you to change your username once so ensure that you pick something that you will be happy with long-term.
To change your Facebook username, please follow these steps:
- Log on to your Facebook account via a browser.
- Select the downward arrow icon on the top right hand side of the screen and select ‘settings and privacy’, followed by ‘settings’.
- The ‘general’ tab should automatically load which will provide you with information such as your registered name, email address and username.
- Next to the username section, select ‘edit’.
- Enter in your new desired username and should it be available, select ‘save changes’ to confirm your decision.
- Navigate back to your profile and check the Facebook URL to ensure that the change has gone through.
This means that it’s quite easy to get a custom Facebook username or user ID that you can change to whatever you want, as long as it’s not already taken.
To conclude, finding someone’s Facebook username is an incredibly easy and straightforward task, regardless of whether you are using the Facebook app or Facebook for web.
You can find a Facebook user ID by simply going into your profile and checking. We hope that the instructions above will help you to locate the username you are after and also help you to change your own username should you fancy a change.