The most commonly used interactions on Facebook are likes and comments, however when it comes to discovering exactly what other users are liking and commenting on can prove to be difficult.
In fact, in some situations, it is impossible due to certain privacy protocols that Facebook abides by.
If you are looking to track down what a certain Facebook user has commented on then you have come to the right place.
In this article, we are going to look at what you can do to discover these posts and comments while also examining how you can keep tabs on all the comments you have made over the years on the platform. Let’s get into it.
How to find comments made by someone on Facebook – the quickest way
The quickest, and easiest, way to find comments made by someone on Facebook is by using the search bar. This function can be found on both Facebook for web and on the mobile phone app.
The process for locating comments made by other users is also identical, regardless of whether you are using Facebook on a web browser or on the app.
The steps are as follows:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Locate the Facebook search bar and type in either ‘comments made by *insert the name of the Facebook user you wish to search for* or ‘posts commented on by *insert the name of the Facebook user you wish to search for*’ and hit enter.
- Facebook will then bring up a selection of posts that the Facebook user in question has commented on. You will be able to view the comments by selecting the ‘comments’ button.
- You’ll be able to filter your results via post type, including ‘videos’, ‘photos’ and ‘pages’.
It is worth mentioning a few privacy considerations which will limit the results that will appear. First of all, you are only able to search for comments made by people on your friends list.
Secondly, any comments that they have made on private posts (i.e. posts which you won’t otherwise have access to) won’t show up either.
You’ll also need to be signed in, as it’s hard to search Facebook without an account. The end result isn’t a full, all encompassing list of every comment the Facebook user in question has made, but rather a limited list of comments they have made.
But, I guess it is better than nothing right? Well, there are some other methods you may be able to use to find Facebook comments.
An alternative method to finding comments on Facebook
There is another suggestion we have when it comes to finding comments from certain user posts, however it does rely a lot on luck and will also only bring up very recent comments made.
The method is as follows:
- Log in to Facebook using a web browser on a computer or laptop. This method will not work on a mobile device.
- Scroll down your newsfeed for a minute or two, until you have a large amount of content spanning across a couple of days at least.
- Press CTRL + F on your keyboard and type in the Facebook user you want to find comments form.
- Select enter and use the arrow button to flick through all the instances where that person has appeared on your news feed.
It is worth noting that this will bring up more than just comments made by that person – it will also bring up posts published by them as well as any instances where they have ‘liked’ something on your news feed.
Again, this is far from a perfect method but it will help you to find some of their most recent comments at the very least. If you need to find someone’s comment, this is worth trying.
How to track all the comments you’ve made on Facebook
When it comes to finding all the posts you have commented on during your Facebook lifespan, the task is much more straightforward.
This is because there is a section of Facebook on your account that will tell you all of this information.
The only comments that will be excluded here will be comments made on posts that have either been deleted or made by people who have since blocked you or vice versa.
To find all the comments you have made on Facebook, please follow these instructions:
- Log on to your Facebook account via a web browser on a desktop computer or laptop.
- Head to your Facebook profile by selecting your account name from the top of the left hand side menu bar.
- Select the three dotted icon (this should sit underneath the ‘edit your profile button’ on the upper right hand side of your profile.
- From the list of options that will appear, select ‘Activity log’ and then ‘comments’.
- The page that will appear will list every comment you have ever made on Facebook. Take a scroll through to see your entire history of comments and delete any of them with a simple click of a button.
If you find that you can’t post comments on Facebook, then there’s a good chance that your account has been restricted for some reason. You won’t be able to view previous comments from other Facebook users whilst this restriction is in place.
To conclude, Facebook doesn’t make things particularly easy when it comes to finding someone else’s comments on the platform. Our suggestions above are your best bet so by following them you may well find what you are looking for.
Finding your own history of comments, on the other hand, is a really simple task as outlined above. Good luck!