Discord servers are fantastic and valuable for a group with common interests, but eventually, a server will outlive its usefulness. Fortunately, you don’t need to spend hours taking down the server.
It takes about one minute to delete a Discord server, and it’s a straightforward process. As long as you own the server, you should be able to delete it without any difficulty.
You have to own a Discord server to delete it. You can delete a Discord server either on your desktop computer (Mac or PC) or the mobile app (iPhone and Android).
The process is slightly different depending on what device you’re using, but it is essentially the same basic steps. With that said, here’s how to delete a Discord server.
Deleteing a Discord Server
If you find that your group hasn’t used their Discord server in a while, it’s probably best to delete it and declutter your app. Only the server owner can do this
It doesn’t have to be a long and complicated process, either. Once you open up Discord on your desktop or mobile app, it takes only a few quick steps to delete a server.
Here’s how to delete a Discord server using your laptop or desktop computer PC or Mac.
In most cases, you’ll likely have enabled two factor authentication, in which case you’ll need to gain access to a six digit authentication code.
After you’ve done this, all you should need to do is tap delete server to get the job done – here’s how.
- Step 1: Open up Discord on your Mac or PC.
- Step 2: On the left side of the window, you will see a taskbar with the icons of all of the servers you have created or are a part of. Select the server you wish to delete.
- Step 3: Once you’re on the server, click on the dropdown menu (the little arrow right next to the server name on the top left) and click on “Server Settings.”
- Step 4: Click on “Delete Server” in the dropdown menu. This option is at the very bottom of the menu, and the text is in red.
- Step 5: Click on the “Delete Server” button. Discord will prompt you to type in the name of the server you want to delete. Doing this is to confirm that you aren’t accidentally deleting a server that you want to keep. If you have 2-factor authentication activated, it will ask for your 6-digit authentication code instead.
- Step 6: Once you’ve typed in the server name and/or the authentication code, click “Delete Server.” Discord will delete your server.
This is the simplest way to delete Discord if you’re using a desktop device. If instead you’re on mobile, there’s a way you can do it for Android and iOS too.
Delete a Discord Server on Mobile
If you are wondering how to delete a Discord server from your phone, it’s relatively simple to delete. Here’s a quick and easy guide.
- Step 1: Open up the Discord app on your iPhone or Android and select the server you want to delete.
- Step 2: In the menu of the server, you will see three dots next to the name of the server.
- Step 3: Click on the three dots. A pop-up menu will appear. Select the “Settings” icon.
- Step 4: Select “Overview” from the top of the Settings menu.
- Step 5: At the bottom of the Overview page, you will see a red box with “Delete Server” inside. Click the “Delete Server” button.
- Step 6: Discord will ask if you want to delete the server. Click “Yes.” The app may also ask you for a 2-factor authentication code, or if you’ve set things up with the Google authenticator app, you’ll need to verify this through your iPhone or Android device too.
There’s also another way to delete a Discord Server on your mobile app. Once you select “Overview” in your server’s settings menu, you should find the “Delete Server” button at the very bottom.
If you don’t see the button, there is another method for deleting a server using the Discord app.
In the Server Settings popup menu, you will see three dots next to the server’s name. Click on that. A button will appear that says “Delete Server.”
Just like with the first method we mentioned, Discord will prompt you for a 2-factor authentication code. Once you enter it, you should be able to delete the server.
Transfer Ownership in Discord (Quick guide)
If you no longer want to be in charge of a server but want others to be able to use it, you can transfer ownership of the server instead of deleting it.
This means that if you do change your mind at any time later down the line, you can ask to be added to the server afterward.
Step 1: Open “Server Settings” as usual and select “Members” from the dropdown menu.
A list of every server member will appear.
Step 2: Find the member you wish to transfer ownership to. There will be three dots next to the member’s name. Click on the three dots and select “Transfer Ownership” on the dropdown menu.
How long does it take to delete a Discord account?
A Discord account and Discord server are not the same thing – you can get rid of a server using the Delete Server option and you’ll still have access to your account.
If you want to though, you can permanently delete your Discord account – you can do this on the desktop app by going into your user settings (the gear icon) in the left hand menu.
Here, you’ll find an option to permanently delete your account, which you can do in just a few clicks from the homepage.
However, bar in mind that you’ll lose access to everything doing this, so many users find it better to stick with the delete server option instead, and keep their account for any other groups chats they may want to participate in.
If your Discord app is overloaded with servers you and your friends no longer use, decluttering your server menu is a simple matter. To delete an unwanted or unused server, all you need is a minute or two and a computer or mobile device.
Alternatively, if you find that you are no longer up to the task of being the owner of a server, you can also transfer ownership of the server to another member as opposed to just leaving your Discord profile idle.
This process is just as easy as deleting the server. Make sure you’ve considered this option before you delete a server forever. Once you delete a Discord server, it can’t be undone.