While Instagram was originally used on a personal level by users across the world, it didn’t take long for businesses to see the potential the platform had on an advertising and marketing front.
As a result, you will do well to find a successful brand that doesn’t have a presence on Instagram, and in many cases, they’ll have more than one account. But is there a limit?
How many Instagram accounts can I have? The answer
With that in mind, it is clear to see that Instagram is a multipurpose social media platform, so it would make sense to allow users to have multiple accounts.
But, are Instagram open to this? In this article, we are going to examine this issue while also looking at how best to juggle your accounts if you do opt to opening more than one.
The truth is, you are allowed to create an infinite amount of Instagram accounts providing you have an endless list of email addresses or mobile phone numbers that you have access to.
In regards to having multiple Instagram accounts attached to one email address or number, though, then you are only able to have two accounts and this is only possible if you add the second account via the mobile phone app.
If you do want to have more than two accounts on the platform then it’s easy enough to create a new email address on one of the various different email providers available across the internet. Then, use that to register your new account.
To create a third, fourth or fifth account on Instagram, please follow these instructions:
On a web browser;
- Head to the Instagram landing page.
- Select ‘Don’t have an account? Sign up’.
- If you have a Facebook account that isn’t already connected to an Instagram account, then select ‘Log in with Facebook’ and follow the on screen instructions to link up your Facebook account.
- If you don’t have an eligible Facebook account to connect, then enter in your new email address, followed by your name, desired username and password.
- If your desired username isn’t available then select the circular arrow icon on the username box to use an Instagram generated one. Alternatively, keep going with trial and error until you see a tick next to one of your attempts.
- Enter in your date of birth and then confirm your new account by verifying it using the link sent to your new email address.
Using the Instagram app to create additional accounts
As mentioned earlier, adding extra accounts on the mobile phone app is slightly different in the sense that you are able to attach two accounts to one email address via the app.
In order to do this, please follow these instructions:
- Open up the Instagram app with your existing account logged in as normal.
- Select the profile icon on the bottom right hand side of the screen.
- Select your username on the top of the screen and from the drop down menu, and select ‘add account’ followed by ‘create new account’.
- Enter in your desired username for the new account and then the password you want for the new account.
- Confirm the new account.
Whilst you can create multiple Instagram accounts, managing multiple accounts is as important. Here’s how you can manage multiple Instagram accounts without having to log out of your Insta.
How to manage your multiple accounts
Managing your multiple Instagram accounts is an easy enough task, providing you are using the mobile phone app.
You are able to add up to five different accounts on the app, meaning that you will be able to keep track of your notifications from each one without having to keep logging in and out.
To add more accounts to your Instagram app, follow the process we explained above but instead of selecting ‘create new account’, click ‘log in to existing account’.
Enter in the login details of each account and ensure that notifications are turned on for each one.
In order to switch between different accounts, you will need to head to the Instagram profile page and select your account name at the top of the screen.
From there, a drop down list will appear containing all of your different accounts, providing you with the ability to just click on whichever one you want to go on.
If you are trying to manage all of your accounts on a web browser then you are going to want to forget simply using the Instagram website, because you are going to get sick of constantly logging in and out of various different accounts.
Instead, consider using a social media management platform such as Hootsuite where you will be able to keep tabs on all of your various Instagram accounts on one screen.
It’s also easier to remove your Instagram account by using a third party service too.
Instagram is a social media platform that has a clear focus on image and video sharing. Users are able to post images and videos that they have taken/recorded on to their feed where those who follow them will be able to view, like and engage with them.
For less permanent image/video sharing, users can use the stories feature where images will be deleted after a 24 hour period of time.
To conclude, you are allowed to have hundreds of different Instagram accounts, providing you have hundreds of email addresses and/or mobile numbers to match.
On a more realistic note, you are allowed two accounts per email on the mobile phone app, and are allowed to add up to five accounts in total on to your app.