Discord Nitro is a solid option for those looking to perfect their gaming experience, and increase their ability to connect with others online. However, new gamers often don’t know the difference between Discord Nitro, and Discord Nitro Classic – to be fair, plenty of experienced gamers don’t know the difference either.
So, we noted down all of the differences between the Nitro and Classic so you can get back to what you do best – whether that’s usually hawking Genshin Impact server’s for tips or ___).
Discord Nitro vs Nitro Classic
The main differences between Discord Nitro and Nitro Classic is that the full version of Nitro has access to many more features, like double the server size, double the character cap and the ability to upload high resolution video. However, though you do get double the limits of a lot of features you’ll get from Nitro Classic, the full version is twice the price of Class too.
Whilst Discord Nitro is $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year, the Classic version of Nitro is only $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year. However, these are only the differences between the two Nitro options in short – let’s look at them both a little closer to work out which one may be a better choice depending on your needs.
Discord Nitro Classic
Nitro Classic was the original version of Nitro, released all the way back in 2017 now. Some long term subscribers don’t want anything from the newer improved version of Nitro, so it makes sense to offer the classic version at half the price ($4.99 per month, of $49.99 per year).
When you upgrade to the Classic version of Discord Nitro, you’ll get five new features for you to make the most of. They are;
- Uploading GIF Avatars – It’s the small things that matter, and being able to make your profile picture a GIF is probably the best example of something tiny that can just bring us a little more joy and personality to our PP.
- Specialised Discord Tags – The four digit tag that you have attached to your username can be customised if you choose to upgrade. It’s a minimal difference, but it’s worth it if you want the ability to do so.
- Custom Discord emotes – Creating custom emojis that can be posted in any server is a privilege of classic or full Nitro, as usually it’s only restricted to the specific server that you upload the emotes to.
- Increased video quality – The video quality for classic members is improved to 720p at 60fps, or 1080p at 30fps. Having this increase in quality can also make a big difference if you plan to stream via Discord, as they bump your stream quality up to 1080p too.
- Larger file size uploads – One of the most common questions new Discord users ask is how to bypass the current Discord file size limit. The easiest way to do this is to upgrade to Nitro – with Classic, you get a 50MB limit as opposed to just 8MB.
To long term Discord users, this can be enough without having the need to upgrade to the full version of Nitro. However, if you want to make the most of the app, then you may want to try out the increased version.
So, specifically what do you get extra that you don’t get with the Classic package? Well, you get everything that you get with Nitro Classic, plus a whole lot more.
I mentioned with Classic you get up to 50MB upload file sizes – with the full version, you can upload any files up to 100MB, which is a big increase. This can make a difference mainly if you’re looking to upload and send videos via Discord.
You also get a higher quality of video when streaming via Discord, so if you’re an influencer or brand that needs a cinema quality video resolution then it’s definitely worth the upgrade.
As well as the previously mentioned increased on Classic, there’s actually a whole lot of new features that you get by going with the full package. This includes;
- Server boosts – With Discord Nitro, you’ll get 2 server boosts, which you can use with your favourite Discord communities online. Boosts can give more bonuses and features to everyone that’s on the server.
- Special stickers – The ability to use special custom stickers comes with Nitro, and the more levels the server progresses, the more slots you’ll have for your own custom stickers!
- Double the server limit – Instead of the maximum server limit of 100 that you can join, you’ll get a server limit of 200 instead.
- Increased character limit – With a standard message, you have a character cap of 2000 – this also gets doubled to 4000 when you upgrade.
- Custom video backgrounds – You can choose from some of the preset video backgrounds that come with Discord, or if you want to instead, you can upload your own video background.
In conclusion, for most people upgrading to Discord Nitro Classic will be enough to get a taste of whether you enjoy the extra features – the most important ones, like a big file size boost, are part of the cheaper Classic package.
However, if you use Discord on a daily basis to chat to your friends in various different servers, it can be worth going for the full Nitro package. There are sometimes deals you can hold out for, or with an Xbox subscription you can get a free trial of Discord Nitro when it’s available too. Overall, if you’re a fan of the additional customisation we’ve mentioned, it’s worth it – otherwise, stick to the basic free version instead.