The BT app, otherwise known as ‘My BT’, is an app for BT customers who want to keep up to date with all of their bills, payments and usage allowances. It’s a really handy tool that allows individuals to keep track of their television, broadband, mobile and landline bills, ensuring that they are within their limits at all times. It’s a little different than when the BT Sport app won’t open, which has a different set of solutions.
Given how important the app is for customers, it can be quite alarming if it suddenly stops working. If you’re having troubles with the BT app not working then you’ve come to the right place because below, we are going to look at the reasons why the app sometimes stops working and more importantly, explain how you can resolve these issues.
BT app not working – the quick fix
The most common reasons that people report when the BT app isn’t working is either a blank screen appearing when you go to open up the app or a loading screen that never loads. To get around this issue, you will need to close the app down and then load it back up again once it’s had time to reset itself. There are a three ways in which you can do this:
- Force close the app down. To do this on an iOS device, swipe up from the bottom of the home screen to bring up a list of all the apps that are currently open or trying to load on your device. Find the BT app and swipe up on it to force close the app down. Now, click off this screen, find the BT app icon and open it back up again.
- Delete the app. To do this on an iOS device, locate the BT app icon and hold down on it until a drop down menu appears. On this menu, select ‘remove app’ to delete the app from your phone. Now, head to the app store, search for My BT and re-download it.
- Restart your phone. To do this on an iOS device, hold down the button on the upper right hand side of your phone at the same time as one of the volume buttons. This will bring up a screen that will give you the option to shut your phone down. After you’ve done this, wait 30 seconds then press the same two buttons again to turn it back on. This will not only clear the app of any bugs that are potentially preventing it from starting up properly but will also clean up your phone.
Check your connection
The BT app requires users to have an internet connection, as well as a BT account, in order to be able to access the app. Therefore, if you are trying to use the app without being connected to the internet then it quite simply won’t work. There are two ways in which you can check your internet connection:
- Wi-Fi. To connect your iOS device to your Wi-Fi router you need to go to the settings app and then select ‘Wi-Fi’. Ensure that the bar next to Wi-Fi is highlighted green and then simply select one of the available networks underneath.
- Mobile data. To connect your iOS device to mobile data you need to go to the settings app and select ‘mobile data. Ensure that the bar next to mobile data is highlighted green and then let your phone do the rest in terms of connecting you to a 3G, 4G or 5G network. If you have selected this option but the internet isn’t loading then it’s likely because you have run out of your contracted amount of mobile data for the month.
Check your account information
One final thing that is worth checking is your account information. As mentioned above, you do need a live account with BT to be able to access the app so maybe your subscription run out or you may have simply just forgotten your password. To check the status of your subscription contact BT directly and to change your password select the ‘Forgotten your log in details’ option on the login screen and then follow on the on-screen instructions.
As you can tell, there are various reasons why the BT app sometimes doesn’t work and also various different ways to get around the issue. We are confident that if you attempt everything we have suggested above then you will be able to get back up on and running on My BT and have access again to all of your BT-related bills and allowances.
If this article has helped you out, and if you are struggling with any other apps, then please feel free to check out our other troubleshooting articles for tips and tricks on how to fix some of the most popular apps around.