Amazon Prime Video is an incredibly popular streaming service which is home to some of the best television shows ever made. The service is available all over the world and currently boasts over 175 million active subscribers. For each of these subscribers, finding that the service is unavailable can be very frustrating, especially if you’re all set to binge watch a certain series.
Sadly, this issue isn’t a rarity and will have happened on more than one occasion to the majority of those 175 million subscribers – Amazon Video not working is a common occurrence. If you are currently having issues with this error message then luckily for you, you’ve landed in the right place. In this article, we are going to examine the reasons behind the error message and look at ways in which you can get around it.
Amazon Prime Video unavailable – the main reason why
The main reason why Amazon Prime could become unavailable to you is if your subscription has expired and you’re still trying to access its titles. This may happen unexpectedly and seemingly out of the blue, in which case it’s likely because payment has defaulted via all of your selected payment methods.
To check if you have an active subscription with Amazon Prime Video please take the following steps:
- Open up the Amazon Prime Video app on your mobile device and log in.
- Select the ‘My Stuff’ icon on the bottom right hand side of the screen.
- Select the ‘settings’ icon on the top right hand side of the screen.
- Select ‘my account’ and then ‘manage account’.
- If the app is showing a payment method here then you should have an active susbcription.
If you don’t have an active subscription then unfortunately, you are unable to amend this via the app. In this scenario you will have to head to your web browser and follow these steps:
- Select your account name on the top right hand side of your browser.
- Select ‘memberships and subscriptions’ from the drop down list.
- Confirm that Amazon Prime isn’t there and then head back to the drop down list and select ‘my account’.
- Select the Prime option and renew your subscription.
There are other reasons why Amazon Prime Video might be unavailable to you, let’s take a look at a few of them:
As Amazon Prime Video is a streaming service that relies on a strong internet connection in order to function properly, you may find that you are receiving this error message because you aren’t connected to the internet. Most devices will require you to have a wi-fi connection, while mobile phones will also allow a mobile data connection.
To check your internet connection on an iOS device, follow these steps:
- Head to the settings app on your phone.
- Select the Wi-Fi option.
- If you are connected to a Wi-fi network then you will see a tick next to one of the listed options – if you don’t see a tick then select one and follow the on-screen instructions to connect. You will likely need a password.
- Head back to the settings app and select mobile data.
- Slide the bar next to ‘mobile data’ over to green to prompt your phone into searching for a secure 3G, 4G, or 5G connection.
The upper bar on your phone will let you know whether you are connected to to wi-fi or mobile data. Wi-Fi is represented by a reverse triangle with 3 curved lines and mobile data is represented by either a 3G, 4G, or 5G symbol.
Another reason why you may receive an error message saying that Amazon Prime Video is unavailable is if you are trying to watch content that isn’t available in your location. As Prime Video is an international service, they cater their content to different audiences depending on where you’re from.
As a result, you may occasionally stumble across content that isn’t intended for you geographically. Unless you want to use a VPN, there is unfortunately no way around this issue.
One other popular reason behind this error message is to do with Amazon’s servers. If their servers are struggling or are down completely, then Prime Video will be temporarily unavailable until they are fixed. To check if this is the issue then check out this website. It gives you a real time information and will also notify you once the issue has been resolved.
If this is causing the error message, then there is nothing you can do about it so instead of sitting in front of your phone/tv/tablet getting frustrated, go and do something else to pass the time before Amazon resolve the issue.
To conclude, there isn’t one nailed on reason why Amazon Prime Video might be unavailable for you at this time. The issues discussed above are the most common reasons, though, and we hope that by following our advice you can get back up and running in as quick a time as possible.